I try to learn something new every day and today I learned about Water Intoxication. I've had dogs for over 40 years and I never heard of this before but thanks to Dr. Becker, I have now!
Your dog just got sprayed by a skunk! What do you do? The old standby is a wash him in tomato juice. That's great but who keeps enough tomato juice on hand to wash a dog, especially a bi g dog? Here's an even more effective solution and you can keep enough of the ingredients on hand without spending a lot of money. Plus you can quickly mix the solution as many times as necessary until the smell subsides. So watch this quick video from Dr. Becker for the recipe:
Chocolate and dogs don't mix! Hopefully all dog owners know that chocolate is toxic to their beloved companion. Even small amounts can be harmful. See the video to explain why chocolate is toxic, symptoms to watch for and what to do next:
With all the hustle and bustle of everyday life and the added pressure of getting our kids ready to go back to school it's easy to forget about your four legged family member. Going from having the children around all day, every day for the past couople of months to being alone all day can be a depressing and anxiety filled time for your family dog.
Vaccine Expert ‘Very Disappointed’ with Amount of Vaccines Still Being Given
Some canine vaccines can do more harm than good. Leptospirosis Vaccine may be one of them. With several adverse reaction cases to this vaccine for an infection that can be treated with anti-biotics, you have to wonder how necessary it really is. Does the reward outweigh the risks?
This Vaccine Can Impair Your Dog's Immune System
Don't buy a dog from a pet store, online, at a flea market or from the newspaper!
Why? Because in so doing you are unknowingly supporting the scum who run puppy mills all over this country. Pet stores get their puppies from puppy mills, whether they know it or not. Many dogs sold online, in the newspaper and at flea markets are part of this horrible, money driven industry.
It's estimated that there are perhaps 10,000 puppy mills in the U.S. so by buying one of these dogs you are supporting the owners and perpetuating this disgusting industry and sentencing more dogs to the horrible conditions they will be forced to live in. You're also supporting the addition of thousands and thousands, perhaps millions of puppies to an already overpopulated segment of our society. We already have millions of homeless dogs in the U.S. So many that we euthanize 3 to 4 million a year.
Canine Flu is spreading across this country. As of this writing, the Washington Post reports that the H3N2 flu has spread to 12 states. There is a canine flu vaccine available but it is not for the current strain of influenza.
So what can we do to help protect our dogs from this potentially deadly outbreak?
It’s time for me to adopt another dog. I’ve been searching various shelters on the internet and it breaks my heart to see the volume of homeless dogs available for adoption; cats also.
There are literally millions of dogs and cats that are stuck in shelters all over this country and the numbers keep growing. Many of them will be put to death because there are just too many. The estimates run anywhere from 3 million to 4 million that are euthanized annually just in the U.S. Think about that number for a minute. That’s about 10,000 a day! It’s a national disgrace!
As if there already wasn't enough things to worry about your dog getting ahold of; now we can ad laundry detergent pods to the list. Those popular colorful pods can wreak havoc or even death should your dog or cat bite into one.
April 08, 2015
By Dr. Becker
An item that doesn’t often show up on lists of household products toxic to pets is laundry detergent. But it should, because most detergents and soaps contain ionic and anionic surfactants. When ingested in small amounts, these chemicals can cause GI upset in a pet, such as excessive drooling, vomiting or diarrhea. Fortunately, it’s unlikely most pets would have the opportunity or desire to ingest a large amount of bottled detergent.
But a new concern these days are those little brightly colored laundry detergent pods that smell good and look like candy or some other type of yummy treat to a small child or a pet. It’s conceivable that a pet might eat enough pods to cause an obstruction in the GI tract, but the greater danger of laundry and also dish detergent pods is actually the potential for an animal, typically a dog, to bite into them and inhale the detergent.
According to ASPCA Animal Poison Control, dogs make up over 90 percent of detergent pod poisonings. Cats account for just 6.5 percent.